New dataset, new dates.

Today Reich Lab has updated its AADR dataset to version 52.2. There seems to be little change in previously published data, but some samples were eventually radiocarbon dated.

Two samples from Czechia previously identified as Knoviz LBA have been dated to the Middle Ages.

One sample from Czechia previously identified as IA La Tene has been dated to modern times.


 

On the other hand, earlier archaeological dating of several samples from Hungary has been confirmed.


 

Together with I18182 from the same cemetery as I18183, these samples form a cluster that we can call Balto-Slavic without much hesitation.



Nearest modern samples are almost exclusively Balto-Slavic.


Most interestingly, although the samples are virtually contemporary, geographically they cover almost all of Hungary.


The simultaneous presence of such samples over a vast area indicates that we are not dealing with a single stray group, but potentially with a larger population living in the vicinity of the La Tene culture.


See also: Istory: I-Y3104 - I-L621 - I-CTS4002

Comments

ambron said…
It is very important that the dating sample I25524, which comes from the paternal line M458, has been confirmed.

Note that this is the first case of an autosomally Lithuanian M458 according to modern genetics. Well, modern Lithuanians have a large Polish admixture, and the M458 is a typically Polish uniparental marker.

Arza, I am glad that you have returned to being active on your blog.
Arza said…
Yeah, this bodes well for the dating of similar samples from Nitra and Fuzesabony cultures.

Another important thing is that these samples confirm that the "Balto-Slavic cline" was already developed in the Bronze / Iron Age.
sds said…
Hi Azra, no further word on sample I13780? I know it has been dated to about 250 BCE but I see at least one LaTene sample was recalculated from LBA to Medieval.
Arza said…
Unfortunately there's still no radiocarbon date for this sample.